"Only a genealogist regards a step backwards as progress!"

Saturday, May 22, 2010

Gardening Arizona Style continued.......

I got to the garden about 6:45 this morning and already the sun was warm. Good thing I decided to go early - partly I decided that because I needed to be at our church building at 8 a.m to help clean. Larry had been to the garden two days ago and harvested yellow squash, zucchini, & one tomato. I ate the whole tomato by myself and it was even better than the last home-grown one that I remember! I was facing the sun when I took these pictures (sorry about the quality) because it was still a little muddy from the last flow of irrigation. That reminds me - try to get a visual of this: When Larry went to the garden he had on flip flops and the garden was even wetter than it was today. He picked the veggies and tried to only walk on the tops of the rows. Well, his foot slipped and he got his shoes muddy so he sat on the little bridge over the irrigation ditch to clean them. Guess what? Yep, one shoe started floating downstream! And at such a swift rate he knew he couldn't catch it so he jumped on his white stallion (I mean he got into his car) and sped down the lane until he was past where the shoe would be, jumped off his steed (I mean he got out of the car), raced to the ditch and saved the fair damsel!!! (I mean retrieved his shoe!!!) My hero! Oh how I wish I could have been there to catch this on video!!!




The water is not flowing today but you can see the little bridges along the way.



Todays bounty!



When I got home I noticed our cactus in the backyard had presented me with a beautiful bloom!











1 comment:

Candy Jane said...

Man, that was CRUEL!! It's been raining for 2 solid weeks, with 3" predicted just for tomorrow - yikes. I'm so amazed at the growth, the un-orthodox methods (different from NW, anyway, and the HARVEST. Lucky you! Who knew - Larry the farmer!!