"Only a genealogist regards a step backwards as progress!"

Sunday, April 6, 2008

Critters in the desert

Dogs -

Lady discovered that grass does grow in the desert - just not in our yard. She has so much fun going on morning walks and having time to roll in the grass. I even let her off leash since hardly anyone else lives in our little neighborhood yet. Soon there will be other dogs and she won't be able to have this freedom but I think she deserves it for now. When we lived in Glendale she had to stay off the grass in our park. Her walks were either on hot pavement or hot/sharp rocks. Ouch!!! So I think she has earned the right (at least for a little while) to run on the grass freely - and happily!!!

Cats -


Snickers does not enjoy the same freedom as Lady although she does roam freely in the backyard thanks to our pet door. She has yet to try to see what's on the other side of the wall and we are hoping she never does. Snickers has tried every spot in the house to get comfy and here is an example of one. That tail really speaks for her - she can show lots of attitude with it! She really likes the guest room couch. One never knows where she will be found from one moment to the next.





Rattlers????


Okay, we weren't willing to see if rattlesnakes really are beyond this point. Guess that was the point of the sign, huh? No sense taking a chance and ruining a perfectly beautiful hike at the Boyce Thompson Arboretum. Candy and I were there birding with the Tucson Audubon Society. What a wonderful group of people. Candy said she has never met birders who weren't great. I have to agree. We saw lots of birds and plants of all sizes, shapes, and colors. What a wonderful way to spend the day!


Crocodiles????


We found this little lake on our hike and Candy & I were talking about crocodiles in the water because we had just seen a film about crocs being in every mud hole or puddle of water in Africa. A lady (not of our group) overheard us and wanted to know where the crocodiles were. Candy told her they were right there because they would be wherever there was a "mud hole or puddle" and this was a little lake, even better. She wanted to see one. We finally had to tell her that we were talking about Africa and unfortunately she would not be able to spot a croc in this lake. I think she was disappointed. Good thing we weren't in Africa because she probably would have been eaten while trying to find the croc!!!

1 comment:

Grammy said...

Way to go Kathy! Love your blog! Keep it up. I miss you more than I can say. Your sunrise picture is breath taking. I really love the sky, and watching clouds, etc. Am looking forward to the monsoon season. The sky is AMAZING during those weeks!