"Only a genealogist regards a step backwards as progress!"

Saturday, July 12, 2008

Monsoon season is here!!!!!!!!!!!

The Weather Service decided that the monsoon
“season” will start on June 15th and end on September 30th, regardless of weather conditions. In years past, the first three consecutive days with average dew points of 55 degrees marked the beginning of the monsoon—typically in early July. And the monsoon ended with the last string of three days with such damp dew points--usually in September. So we have thunderstorms and fantastic lightning shows. In fact, on the way home from the airport the other night I watched lightning all the way. Anyway, after the rain the water stays for a long, long time. This is not really a lake but instead a park near our home. If you enlarge the picture you might be able to see the black picnic table on the far right - it is partially submerged. Some parks here are made to be retention ponds as is the case with our park. Can you imagine the havoc this water would create if it didn't have a place to stand? I'm sure it doesn't sink into the ground - probably just evaporates instead!!! Anyway this park is a favorite of Lady's - remember my earlier blog with her playing in the grass???? Well that area is under this water! And two days later the water was still almost as high!!!!







It seems as if everywhere I went yesterday there was ground water. Here is a picture outside of the post office looking toward a church across the street.





































Just down from the post office a little way I ran into another "puddle" on the way to run more errands! And the one place I thought there would be water - the Santa Rosa Wash - there was a small puddle on each side of the road. When the storms come we can't use the road because of flash floods so I was surprised to see that there was no water to speak of in the wash. The city where we live is ready to start building a bridge over the wash so we won't have to take alternate routes when the storms come. I sure can feel the humidity since I've been home! All I can say is I AM SO THANKFUL FOR AIR CONDITIONERS!!!!!

3 comments:

Carrie said...

That's a lot of water!!! I'm glad you made it home safe. Thanks for sharing the family pictures, it was great to see everybody!

Anonymous said...

Go figure - monsoons in the desert.
And you thought you would never use those galoushes again!
C.

Grammy said...

I love the monsoons here! There is nothing that compares to a dark sky, the clouds rolling in, and the lightening flashing all around. It is nature's light show. and then the BIG FAT rain drops start. I really love a good monsoon storm!