"Only a genealogist regards a step backwards as progress!"

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Scarlett O'Hara Eat Your Heart Out....


One of my favorite movies of all time is Gone With the Wind. I love it even though it is about 3 1/2 hours long! I remember my mom & I going to the drive-in movie years and years ago so we could watch this movie together. I was married with kids even! Anyway, back to the movie - do you remember the scene where Scarlett took the drapes off the wall and made a fashionable dress so she could go beg Rhett for money? Or maybe you remember Carol Burnett's skit mocking the movie but it was hysterical!!! So this past week I "repurposed" some material I bought when I came to Arizona to visit Larry before I moved here. I needed the material to cover the bare walls in our master bathroom and the difference it made was astounding!!! I love the material!!! So when we moved to our new home I carefully took the material down off the wall, washed, packed, and moved it. The material sat here for a few months until last week when I decided to use it to make a new apron. I was tired of cooking in good clothes only to find I had spilled or splattered on them!! Soooooooooooo here is the result. I even made it reversible so I could have two good sides! When I searched online to find a pattern I didn't see any that would suit my taste so I modified what I found and because I didn't have any bias tape.... and did not want to make my own... this is what I came up with. I even hung a special hook by my refrigerator so it will always be handy to use. Today when I came home from church I used my apron and thus didn't have to change my clothes because we were heading out again to visit a family and then go back to church for a fireside. Let me tell you, I am very happy with my new apron! Go figure. One last thing - the first time I ever sewed anything was in the 7th grade when I made an apron. Guess I am retracing history!!! (Yes, I know I cropped my head out of the picture but the focal point is the apron. Really.)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, that is so impressive - moreso because I saw the fabric on the wall! Don't you just love "repurposing"!! Especially something so pretty, not to mention NECESSARY! I know what you mean, cooking and spattering a perfectly good shirt...than kicking myself for not grabbing the apron hanging a foot away from the stove!
Had to laugh, the re-run apron project. I never had Home Ec - how the dickens did I get out of that?? You certainly got something out of it...kudos!

Grammy said...

I LOVE that apron! and I wear one when I cook, too. My mom always wore aprons. I even made one for my oldest daughter when she was about two (30 years ago!) and it is in the dress-ups her kids play with.